Thursday, April 22, 2010

Water...Hydrate for Health

Ahhh...water, the most easily available beverage, it's cheap, 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugar, perfect really. Water is the most essential nutrient your body needs, you cannot function without it and you cannot lose weight without it.


Are you getting enough water every day? I'm getting better at it, I never really enjoyed drinking water, I tolerate it, does not really excite me, but I think about all the wonderful things water does for my body and health, from my cells, to my muscles to my skin, after all 2/3 of our body consists of water, our bones, muscles, blood and even our brains. It still amazes me how some people will go a whole day without a glass of water, but will chug down 4-5 sodas or fruit drinks or coffee. I don't think soda is running through our cells and muscles bringing much needed nutrients is it?


So what are some of the things water does for us, well, it transports nutrients and oxygen to our cells, protects our vital organs, regulates body temperature and on and on, and that's all great but what does water do for me as an athlete?, as a fitness enthusiast?, as a woman trying to lose weight?, as a body builder? Well, the answer is...alot.


    Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day will:

  • Flushes out toxins from your system allowing your metabolism to function more effectively, by about 3%. Your metabolism is very important, it's your body's furnace and if you don't stoke it you will not burn calories.


  • Gives you a "full" feeling thereby curbing your appetite, if you are feeling hungry and it is not quite time for a meal then drink a glass of water. Drink a glass of water too before your meal to help you eat less.


  • Help you drop water retention weight, I know sounds like an oxymoron, but it is true, when you do not drink enough water your body holds onto it thinking it is in survival mode, once you start getting enough water into your system, then your body thinks this influx of water will continue and will then start expelling all the old water it's been holding onto to,(think detoxification) this is why you pee so much, and some people do get discouraged having their day interrupted with so many bathroom breaks, but if you keep up the water intake it will regulate itself and even out.


  • Build beautiful muscles, your muscles are 75% water, if their not hydrated then how can you build muscle? enough said.

  • Boost your immune system and speed up recovery from injuries, which means less down time and more time for working out, running, biking whatever it is that gets you moving.

So do you have a glass of water yet? Find what works for you, for me it is keeping my pretty Sigg bottle full all day and sipping. Maybe some lemon or lime slices. Whatever it takes do it, get drinking and you will see the benefits right away

Gigi

No comments:

Post a Comment